Welcome to ManjulaSood.com
Councillor Sood has proudly served the City of Leicester as the High Bailiff (2007 to 2008), the Deputy Lord Mayor (2009 to 2010) and as the City's First Citizen and Lord Mayor (2008 to 2009). Councillor Sood made history by becoming the first Asian female Lord Mayor and High Bailiff in the United Kingdom which was a monumental achievement.
Councillor Manjula Sood is the elected City Councillor for the ward of Latimar, in Leicester East. She has been an elected sitting Councillor since October 1996. Before entering politics, Councillor Sood was a school teacher for almost 20 years.
The pictures below are of a proud Cllr Sood, who was a recipient of a Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) for Community work in Leicester from Her Majesty. The Investiture ceremony took place at Buckingham Palace on Thursday 5th November, 2009. Cllr Sood's family were very proud and honoured on her accomplishments. Please visit this link for more details: Investitures
Councillor Sood is heavily involved within the local community and her efforts were the driving force for her achievements in receiving the following awards/recognition:
- Sport England East Midlands Regional Champion
- MBE (Member of British Empire) for community work in Leicester, June 2009
- Doctorate of Laws (LLD), Leicester University 2008
- NRI Institute Excellence Award 2008 for Contribution to Politics
- Raised in excess of £100,000 for Great Britain Special Olympics
- Finalist for the Woman of the Year for the Asian Achievers Award 2008
- Finalist for the AWA Award for Work in the Public Sector, 2007
- Finalist for the Lloyds TSB Jewel Awards, Midlands Section, 2007
- Leicestershire and Rutland Women of the Year Award 2006
- Triangular Media Group Global Award, 2006
- Honorary LABA (Leicestershire Asian Business Association) Award, 2006
- Labour Party Merit Award, 2004
- Red Hot Curry's top 300 most influential Asian women in the UK 2002
Manjula Sood, Regional Champion for the East Midlands, joined with former Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe in Scropton near Derbyshire.
Councillor Sood has lived in Leicester for over 40 years and has two sons. She enjoys reading, travelling, raising money for charity events and has a keen interest in current and social affairs.